Malacca Day 2

 Day 2 began with a fresh new roll of film. This time Fujicolor 400H. I only managed to get 9 shots from this roll, as I somehow managed to miss focus on one shot. Same Mamiya RB 67 ProSD with Sekor C 50mm.

However, I will only show 5 pictures, as the other 4 are portraits of my friends who were traveling with me.

First off, the proprietor of a 100 year old bar in the Malacca town. This is Auntie Doris, who is the wife of the third generation owner of the bar. The bar opens only from 9am to 4pm. And yes, we started drinking from early morning. Interesting vibes. Mostly local or Malaysian alcohol, including some rather interesting samsu (baijiu, or white rice wine) from a local Malacca distillery.



The oldest temple in Malaysia. The Cheng Hoon Teng Temple was constructed circa 1645.


Such an old building is decorated with very ornate statues, and paintings on the walls. Here, I saw some artisans doing some restoration works.



Just across, I came across a very traditional house. Built with timber, but on a raised platform in concrete. This style of "bungalow" is common, and allows for air circulation below the floorboards for a cooler interior. Coupled with wide roofing and high ceilings, it is one of the ways to beat the local high temperature weather. The raised floor also keeps the creepy crawlies and rodents from the house proper.

Trying not to tilt the camera, I had to cut off the top of the roof. A small rise of the front standard would have done the trick, but the RB's tilt shift lens are huge, and I believe only available in 75mm, which is probably too long for this kind of work.



And a short distance away is the Malacca River. Now a very touristy location, full of AirBnB, bars and clubs. And murals.



Tomorrow, I will show the remaining 4 shots of the last roll I took. This was on the new Santa 1000 film stock, which is black and white. I only shot a total of 24 photographs on the 3 day / 2 night trip.

Comments